Do You Make Things Difficult for Yourself?
In our businesses we can go two steps forward and then two more steps forward. But some of us go two steps forward and one step back. And repeat. Why is that? Some of us are naturally more cautious. Perhaps we fear failure or maybe success. More likely, however, is that we haven’t organized our time and efforts into systems that prevent problems. So fires continuously arise and we have to put them out. We run our businesses by reactively extinguishing problems rather than proactively preventing problems. Solution: Prioritize how we spend our time to address what is important before it becomes urgent. Remove low priority items that get in the way of high priority ones.
We address this in our highly acclaimed coaching program called Magnified Marketing Multiplies My Money! We apply time management skills to the practice of marketing so you have no more excuses. Click here to read more about it.
Below is a funny comparison that illustrates just how difficult you could make something for yourself.
Please leave a comment about what you’ve observed in yourself or others about the easy and difficult ways to get something done.
Oil Change Done the Easy Way:
- Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.
- Drink a cup of coffee.
- 15 minutes later, write a check and leave, driving a properly maintained vehicle.
Oil Change: $30.00
Oil Change Done the Difficult Way
- Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, use your debit card for $50.00.
- Stop by general store and buy a case of beer, (debit $20), drive home.
- Open a beer and drink it.
- Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
- Find jack stands under kid’s pedal car.
- In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
- Place drain pan under engine.
- Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
- Give up and use crescent wrench.
- Unscrew drain plug.
- Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process.
- Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
- Have another beer while watching oil drain.
- Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
- Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
- Remember drain plug from step 11..
- Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
- Drink beer.
- Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
- Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
- Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
- Lower car from jack stands.
- Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled.
- Test drive car.
- Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
- Car gets impounded.
- Call loving wife, make bail.
- 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.
Impound fee: $75.00